Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Cookout Night Photos

Student reflections:

At Keewaydin one night we got to cook our own dinner. We had to gather sticks and make a fire, we would have a can over the fire so we cooked a burger. In my group we had made 4 burgers and none of them fell on the ground. The burgers we made were not burnt and not raw, they were probably the best burgers I had ever had. After you made your burger there was a table you could go to with toppings and side dishes. There were lots of different toppings like; tomatoes, onions, and lettuce, you could also get some baked beans. When moving around there were some rules, you could not run or else you had to sit down for a minute, and if nobody’s at your stove everyone would chant “abandoned stove!”. When we got the sticks before we got the fire going, we broke them into small sections of the stick and put them all into a pile so we could keep the fire going. This experience was very enjoyable and the food was amazing. I would definitely do it again if I could.  -EL

 

At KEEC (Keewaydin Environmental Education Center) on Wednesday we had a cook out and everybody made burgers on these little stoves which were made out of cans. The day before we had to collect sticks after our investigations. Tim later gave us tree bark to start and keep the fire going. My personal group did a pretty good job feeding the fire and keeping it together. We did this behind the dining hall on the gravel. The cans had tinfoil on the top and we had to wrap the rest around the edge of it. At the bottom of the can there was a big hole to let us put in sticks, bark, and to feed to fire. All the KEEC staff were super helpful during this time and taught my group how to blow on the fire to keep it going. Then we started making the burgers, this was probably the hardest part but still my favorite. We started on the first out of three burgers and we used two forks to flip it. One person would flip the burger while the other two would take one big stick on each side and that’s how our group would flip the burgers. Once the first one was done we repeated the process twice. All the stoves were going at the same time and we couldn’t run or move fast or else we would have to sit down for one minute right where we were. After you were done cooking your burger, you had to check in with an adult so you could get your plate and bun. Afterwards we got toppings and drinks for our burgers. Once we were done we went out to the field and played games. Overall it was super fun and really a great experience. It was a great dinner and probably one of my favorites. -AH 

 
I loved the cook out because I love burgers and making fire. The thing that makes it so fun is cooking. I have never cooked by myself. I only cook with my dad and now I am learning how to cook, so thank you. I was really happy on cook night. The burgers were burned, but they were still good.
- MG 
 
As someone who is in the cookout night photos, the time I was there was immaculate. I really liked the food. It was delicious and I liked the cookout because I got to hang out with my friends. Afterwards, I got to pet the dog. He was very cute. But overall, I really liked the cookout, I think it was really fun.
-CB
 

When I was cooking the burgers with Sawyer, Colton and Carter I broke all of the sticks and cut my hand, and I had to help Addy and Declan with their fire. When I was by my fire, I spilled Glick on it, which almost made the fire go out. The burgers were really good. They let us make our own burgers with the toppings. You could have also had salad. Dessert was a chocolate cookie. You had to clean up well to get the password for dessert. -JT

 
 
 


































 









2 comments:

  1. These are cute, my daughter's want to see Bella working her job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job Joe!!

    ReplyDelete