This afternoon another group went out to build dams in a small stream that comes off the mountain.
student reflection:
For choice, we had the option to go to dam nation. We started this adventure by going on a hike on a trail in the middle of the woods. Getting chewed alive by bugs and mosquitoes, but eventually, we found a beautiful running stream. Everybody was excited to get to work on building their massive dam.
So everybody started to get to work, blocking the water with leaves and rocks slowly, and rocks started to pile up inch by inch. Water started to come in. It started at your ankles then your shins and slowly came up to your waist. and the water was freezing so cold that people couldn’t even work on their dam so every five minutes one of your partners would go in and fix it when we were all done everybody was soaked and cold. -CM
Hello, this was an awesome investigation! Nial led it, me and the rest of the people climbed up a stream bed. Following this, I found a perfect spot to construct my dam. I went farther upstream to lower the flow temporarily to my dam. When completed, I headed back to the main sight to fully construct it. I found another person eager to help. We stuffed as many leaves and rocks in. After completion, the once 7 foot waterfall, reduced to a slow, thin, brisk, trickle of slow falling water. However, water has its ways. Before this, another person decided to put a dam after mine. The water went around my dam to another flow of water 12 feet away. This water was being propelled by when I built the temporary dam, I made the water flow parallel to my dam. But still letting a considerable amount of water to mine. There was a groove downstream that flowed into this other dam, due to the large propulsion of the water. Water gushed in. This person said he wanted the speed, even if it could take out his dam. So I built a diversion. The full speed of the once flowing water, went straight into a pool of it, making a perfect watering hole. Awesome investigation! - DB







No comments:
Post a Comment