Thursday, May 27, 2010

Town Meeting



All campers participate in a town meeting here at KEEC. They are given a role to play in KEECville- the real estate agent, the soil, the deer, the children, the factory workers, etc. A developer pitches a plan to change KEECville in some way and the campers have an opportunity to ask questions about how the change will affect them (as the real estate agent, the soil, the deer, etc.). Ultimately campers get to vote on the proposal and explain their point of view. Did you know that Vermont is the only state that allows children to speak up at town meeting? How cool is that!

9 comments:

  1. I just had a lot of fun catching up with those last posts. We had one whopper of a thunderstorm come through here at about 9:30 or so. The wind at the front of the storm was tremendous and we lost power until this morn. just in time to get ready for school=( I'm glad to see that you're all okay and that you didn't melt or blow away!

    It seems like everyone has really settled in and are comfortable and having fun learning. It's great!

    Thanks again for doing this, Katy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so nice to be able to go this site and see photos of the CAES 6th grade class in action.
    Hi Isis! (your momma)
    Thank You braving the storm! So glad your all ok :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this KEEC blog! I don't normally spend time on the computer, but I LOVE seeing all the kids..all the cool things they are doing..Thank you Mr.K and Mrs. P for doing this site.I really want to express my gratitude for all of our CAES staff that have generously given their time and energy so that the CAES kids can have this amazing opportunity. Thank you all!! Can't wait to see you all tomorrow!!!!! Deb Davidson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for giving us parents/families the opportunity to peek into our child's day to day adventures. I can see that they are having a blast and learning lots! I'm sure they will miss Keewaydin but they will have these wonderful memories all their lives! Thank you Mrs.G and all the staff that made all this happen! I can't wait to hear all the great stories Alex will have for us tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. town meeting was a lot of fun and we learned a lot too. We learned about what a town meeting in VT was like and even though it was voted down it was really interesting and I really thought before I made my decision. So it seems like we learned a lot and had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had fun at the town meeting. My partner and I won the fight. During the town meeting I had a staring contest with another kid that was straight across from me. It was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -JAH

    ReplyDelete
  7. At the town meeting me and my partner were role playing the small business owners. There was this girl and she was talking about putting in a dam. We had to vote either yes or no if we wanted the dam to be put in. We had to explain why or why not we want the dam to get put in. Some people were role playing deer, soil, and other stuff. Also some people were role playing factory workers, farmers, and people like that. I learned how people discuss stuff at a town meeting, and the town meeting was really fun. - HM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Town Meeting was so fun!!! We got to say if we wanted to have a dam in our town or not! -HS

    ReplyDelete