This morning 9 intrepid campers chose to get lost. Seth and John took us out into the woods and taught us some map and compass skills. Then we partnered up. We took turns wearing blindfolds while our partners guided us through the woods. Our partners had to describe the terrain so we wouldn't trip and fall. This took a lot of trust on the part of the blindfolded person, and a lot of diligence on the part of the guide. After 45 minutes or so of this we were officially LOST. Over lunch we used our newly acquired map skills to find ourselves on the map, orient our maps to magnetic and then true north, and finally find a bearing to get back to our van. We tromped through the woods using that bearing- and got FOUND!

















"Get lost" was so fun I learned how to follow a bearing on a compass and locate where I was on a map, When I went into the woods blindfolded, I had no idea where I was. Then we were given a compass and a map. We had to find our way out of the woods.It was it was fun and exciting experience I did not know that the compass did not point true north.
ReplyDeletei found get lost really fun i learned how to read a map and a compass. i also learned what true north and magnetic north were and how to direct a compass in to each one. i also learned that the green on a map means that theres enough trees there you could hide a tank with camouflaged netting. and i also learned how to tell how far one place to another place is by counting my steps
ReplyDelete