Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Natives with Ms. B

Ms. B from Cavendish took these pictures of a study group studying Native Americans in Vermont.










3 comments:

  1. I learned how to weave stinging nettles to make a bracelet or a necklace. What you do is take the nettle plant and hold it in one hand and strip off it’s skin. Then you make a pile of the skin. Then you keep twisting the skins together until the whole thing is twisted up. Native Americans used this for rope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. During this investigation I learned about the Abenaki's. They are the native americans that settled on lake Dunmore. To throw the spear further, they used an atlatl. They inserted the atlatl into the spear and threw it. We also learned about the three sisters; corn, squash, beans. They grew well together. We also tried to make a fire using the Abenaki technique. I made smoke and almost a fire. My partner and I didn't use the actual technique; I sat on the board and held it. My partner moved the stick back and forth. It was so much fun to learn about the Abenaki's; I will remember it forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. During the week at Keewaydin, I learned a lot of knew information, and did a lot of fun activities. Sometimes we had to sit down and learn, but they made it up to us when they gave us an activity to do. On Tuesday May 21st, 2012, We were called to go to our morning investigation. We got to go into the Teepee and my first thought was, “Great, now we get to learn about Indians!” (sarcastic) but it turned out that the sitting down was really interesting because we got to learn about Vermont’s Native Americans called the Abenaki tribe. We learned about what they ate, what they wore, and most importantly, how they survived. Not only did we learn about how they survived, we got to experience it. They used spheres to kill their prey but after a while of just using a sphere, they realized it didn’t go so far and they thought they could increase the distance by adding something separate. This something separate was called the Atlatl. The Atlatl was used at the end of the sphere to give the sphere a boost so the sphere could go father. This was interesting because we were actually aloud to use the sphere and the Atlatl. First, we tried to throw the sphere without the Atlatl, then we tried it with the Atlatl. The sphere didn’t go farther with the Atlatl, but that was because we were not using the correct technique. And, of course, we were not Native Americans, and we didn’t have as much experience as them either.
    After we finished with the sphere and the Atlatl, we headed to try to find Wim Wam, which was a shelter for the Native Americans. Not only were we able to see the Wim Wam, but we were shown how to make a fire. First, you used this bow like thing witch you used to twist a thick stick onto. We then used a separate piece of wood to put the twisted thick piece of wood into. Then we had to twist back and forth until we began to see smoke, and as we were doing this we also made ash. We had to blow on the ash in an attempt to make a fire. The instructor made it look really easy, but when it was our turn to try, we just made a lot of smoke, and I dropped the ash tray trying to pick it up. However, another group had a very interesting technique where they sat on the board that held the thick stick, then they had their partner to move the bow back and forth. They, also, had a lot of smoke, and a lot of ash. The only think was, was that the ash was to light for it to become into a fire. We walked back from the Wim Wam knowing that I had done something that can help a lot if you are lost all alone in the forest if you need to cook something, or if you need heat. I couldn’t wait to get home to go and show my family that I knew how to make a fire. I also knew that since I knew how to make a fire, my brother would be so jealous.

    ReplyDelete