Thursday, June 10, 2010

Frogging


Here is a new essay from our time at KEEC:

Falling in the Lagoon
by: K.C.
We were at Keewaydin. It was Thursday Choice Day, and for the afternoon I choose frogging. It’s where you go to a lagoon and catch frogs and other amphibians. We took a Keewaydin van to the other side of Lake Dunmore, to where the lagoon was. When we got there Trevor our leader showed us this old, but good conditioned cage where we would put frogs.
Trevor said that we only had a couple nets, so some of us would have to use bare hands. I wanted to go bare-handed. I went to the lagoon, it had a lot of frogs, big and small. I tried catching them but it was hard because I had to go in before I could get close to them, and by then they’d sense me, or see me, whatever little froggies do. Then, I saw this frog, just sitting there, right beside this little chunk of land, floating in the center of the lagoon.
I stepped in. I tried going in quickly over to the frog, it seemed to be working. I went onto the chunk of land. Let me rephrase that, into the land. I flew straight threw the chunk of land. Wait, it wasn’t land it was methane gas, lily pad, and moss stuff. The frog swam away as fast as it could, which was pretty fast. I tried to go after it, but I was stuck.
The bottom of the lagoon engulfed me. I was struggling to get out, but I just kept sinking. After a minute I was just below my knees in mud by a couple inches, when I made my big mistake. I tried to take a big step out when I tripped in the mud and fell face first in mud. Well I would have, but I put out my hands so I’d be able to get out easier, but my face still got a little dirty. My feet were finally free! After about two minutes I struggled out of the lagoon, then I realized I was wearing a white shirt, light jeans, and a white hat.
When I got out I saw C. fell in not to’ far from where I was and almost the exact same thing happened to him, everyone who went frogging came over to try and help him out, he got out in a couple minutes. Then I dropped my hat in a mud pit when we were walking back to the van. C. and I said we were just like Creatures from the Black Lagoon, and we smelled like methane gas, and frog. It was really funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment